When it comes to holiday dinners or special occasions, ham is a popular choice on many dinner tables. One of the most popular and convenient ham varieties out there is the spiral ham. These are precooked hams that are then sliced in a spiral shape, making it easy to serve.
But how do you cook a spiral ham? Here are some tips and tricks to make sure your spiral ham comes out delicious and perfect every time.
Preparing the Ham
Before you begin cooking your spiral ham, there are some steps you’ll need to take to ensure that it turns out well. First, you’ll need to defrost your ham if it’s been frozen. You don’t want to cook a frozen ham because it may not cook through evenly.
To defrost your ham, you can either place it in the refrigerator for a few days before cooking, or you can use the cold water method. For the cold water method, simply place the ham in a large bowl or sink filled with cold water. Change the water every 30 minutes or so until the ham is fully defrosted.
Once your ham is defrosted, you’ll want to remove it from its packaging and rinse it under cold water. Pat it dry with paper towels.
Next, you’ll need to remove the skin from the outside of the ham. Use a sharp knife to make a shallow cut around the circumference of the ham, just below the skin. Then, gently peel the skin off, taking care not to remove too much of the fat underneath.
Making the Glaze
One of the best things about spiral ham is that it pairs well with a variety of glazes. You can use a sweet glaze like honey or brown sugar, or a savory glaze like mustard or garlic. Whatever glaze you choose, here’s how to make it:
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
1. In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil.
2. Reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes, until the sauce has thickened slightly.
3. Remove from heat and let cool.
Cooking the Ham
Now that your ham is prepped and your glaze is made, it’s time to cook the ham. Here’s how to do it:
- 1 spiral ham
- 1 cup glaze
1. Preheat your oven to 325°F.
2. Place the ham cut-side down in a large baking dish or roasting pan.
3. Using a basting brush, coat the ham with the glaze, making sure to get it in between the slices.
4. Cover the ham with aluminum foil and bake for 10-12 minutes per pound or until the internal temperature reaches 140°F. You can use a meat thermometer to check the temperature.
5. Once the ham is cooked, remove it from the oven and let it rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Serving the Ham
When it’s time to serve your spiral ham, you’ll want to make sure you do it properly. Here’s how:
1. Use a sharp, serrated knife to slice the ham along the bone. The spiral slices should fall away easily.
2. Place the ham on a serving platter and drizzle with any remaining glaze.
3. Serve with your favorite sides, like mashed potatoes, green beans, or a salad.
Spiral ham is a delicious and easy meal that’s perfect for any occasion. With these tips and tricks, you’ll be able to cook a perfect spiral ham every time. Remember to defrost your ham, remove the skin, make a delicious glaze, and cook it to the proper temperature. Then, slice and serve with your favorite sides for a memorable meal. Happy cooking!