In India, the Permanent Account Number (PAN) card is one of the most crucial identification documents that enable individuals to conduct financial transactions. On the other hand, the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) introduced the Aadhaar card, which serves as a digital identity proof. The government of India launched a mandate to link PAN with Aadhaar in 2017. The primary objective of this move is to streamline the taxation process and reduce fraudulent activities.
In this article, we will take you through a step-by-step guide on how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card.
Step 1: Check If Your PAN And Aadhaar Details Match
Before linking your PAN card with Aadhaar, it is important to ensure that your details on both documents match. You should check the following details that must match on both cards.
1. Full name – ensure your name on your PAN card must spell the same on the Aadhaar card.
2. Date of birth – ensure the date of birth mentioned on the PAN card and Aadhaar card are the same.
3. Gender- it should be the same on both PAN card and Aadhaar card.
4. Aadhaar number- your aadhaar number must be verifiable and obtained from UIDAI website.
Ensure your name, date of birth, and gender are the same in both the documents. If any of these details do not match, you should get the necessary corrections done before you proceed.
Step 2: Log In To The Income Tax Department e-Filing Portal
Follow these steps to log in to the Income Tax Department e-Filing Portal:
1. Go to the official website of the Income Tax Department- https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home
2. On the right-hand side of the portal homepage, click on the ‘Login Here’ button.
3. Enter your credentials – User ID, Password, Date of Birth, and Captcha code.
Step 3: Link your Aadhaar Card
Here are the steps on how to link your Aadhaar card to your PAN card:
1. Once you log in, go to the ‘Profile Settings’ tab and click on it.
2. Click on the ‘Link Aadhaar’ button on the new page.
3. Fill in your details – Aadhaar number and name (as mentioned on the Aadhaar card).
4. If your Aadhaar name and PAN name are different, enter your Name as mentioned in Aadhaar card and surname.
5. Enter the captcha code and click on the ‘Link Aadhaar’ button to proceed.
Once you have completed these steps, a pop-up message will display notifying you that your Aadhaar card is successfully linked to your PAN card.
Step 4: Validate Aadhaar OTP
Post submitting your Aadhaar number on the e-Filing portal; the OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number, which is linked with your Aadhaar. You need to Validate Aadhaar OTP to complete the link process.
1. Click on the ‘Validate Aadhaar with OTP’ Tab.
2. You will then be redirected to a new page where you have to enter the OTP received on your registered mobile number.
3. Click on ‘Submit’ once you have entered the OTP received.
4. Once the OTP is validated, the linking process will be complete, and you will receive a message on your registered mobile number, and an email on your registered email ID.
Things to Keep In Mind While Linking Your PAN Card with Aadhaar
● The deadline to link PAN and Aadhaar is September 30, 2021.
● The Aadhaar card is mandatory for individuals to complete their ITR filing.
● A facility is available to individuals to request changes to PAN data, including name, date of birth or gender, whichever is not matched with Aadhaar.
● If Aadhaar authentication fails in linking the PAN card, you will be asked to input/request for the changes required in Aadhaar details or PAN details.
● Remember to double-check your Aadhaar number before submitting it on the e-filing portal as the link process requires the correct number to be input.
Linking your PAN card with Aadhaar is a hassle-free process that can be done online. It is essential for individuals who file income tax returns, as the government has made it mandatory to link PAN with Aadhaar. This move is intended to simplify the taxation process and reduce fraudulent activities. The process of linking your PAN card with your Aadhaar card is straightforward and fast, as long as you have followed the guidelines we mentioned above. By practicing this step-by-step guide, you can activate the e-verification of your income tax return using Aadhaar OTP. It’s important to get it done as early as possible before the deadline to avoid any inconvenience while filing taxes.